- Growing, personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- Personal commitment to serve cross-culturally based on a clear understanding of God's command to make disciples of all nations and serve the needy.
- Team player with a servant heart.
- Affirmation by other mature Christians of spiritual maturity and suitability for missionary service.
- Two years of active involvement in a local church and/or Christian service.
- Minimum of 12 hours of college-level Bible courses or equivalent Bible training. The Biblical training should provide in-depth study of both the New and Old Testament books. Discipleship training, seminars, Bible teaching, formal Bible studies are also considered in evaluating Bible knowledge. View a list of recommended Bible schools.
- Good physical and emotional health and stamina
- Willingness and ability to raise personal financial support. After acceptance, MAF will train you on how to raise your support.
The spouse must meet the same personal qualifications. Husband and wife join MAF as a ministry team. However, spouses are not assigned specific jobs or duties. They have the freedom to minister and serve as in any ways that suits their family priorities and personal gifts and talents.
Yes, all MAF Members have the privilege of developing a team of prayer and financial supporters. MAF provides a two-week seminar on ministry partnership development immediately after candidacy. Each MAF staff person/family is assigned a Ministry Partnership Coach who will guide and assist them in the process.
United States tax laws make it difficult for non-US citizens to join MAF-US directly. Check the MAF International page to see if there is an MAF in your country.
MAF understands the importance of children's education, and will work with you to determine the best solution for your family. Typical options may include international schools, mission schools, home schooling, and local schools.
MAF management gives serious consideration to your preference, but many factors go into a regional assignment. These include MAF's current and projected needs, technical specifications of the region, as well as, your family needs and strengths.